Sunday, April 28, 2013

Drawing trees

I'm taking an online class with Deborah Paris on drawing and painting trees.  We're learning about how a tree trunks tapers as it grows, starting out really big at the base and narrowing in girth as it reaches into the sky.  Here are a few samples of my studies this week.

First, a copy of a drawing by JD Harding, from the book, On Drawing Trees In Nature, A Classic Victorian Manual, published in 1846. 








This is a copy of a drawing after John. F. Kensett





And finally, a drawing from life, a big old oak in Jackson Square, New Orleans.  This was fun to draw because I sat basically underneath this huge tree while a jazz band played in the square.  People walking by, tarot card readers, artists displaying their works.  Lots going on in NO!



2 comments:

  1. Lolly, I've enjoyed looking at your blog. Your paintings are beautiful. Outstanding portraits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole,
      Thanks so much for looking at my blog. I'm having a ton of fun sharing my process!

      Delete